Sunday, January 3, 2010

Top 5 Driving Resolutions 2010

2010 is here and its time to make resolutions (even if you may not be able to keep all of them - like Oscar Wilde said "Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account"!). Nevertheless, its that time of the year when you plan to make some significant changes in your life. Since driving (or being driven) forms an important part of your life, here are some pointers to improve your driving experience (and of other fellow users of the road) :

Res #1. I will not honk (in traffic, as I realise that the air waves generated by the car horn do not have the kinetic energy to propel the traffic ahead of me!)

Res #2. I will not try and teach the other motorist a lesson (even if he cuts into my lane or whatever - I will leave the matter to Darwin's Law of Natural Selection. Ref my post http://bit.ly/6TKHeK)

Res #3. I will allow an Ambulance the right of way (and not follow it immediately afterwards) by keeping to the left and slowing down. It is surprising how little road users know about giving way to emergency vehicles. I have had to explain this to cab drivers almost every time.

Res #4. I will leave the right side of the road for motorists in a hurry (when I feel like coasting along at a low speed). It is funny how the right most lane, which is meant for overtaking is the slowest lane and you usually are forced to overtake from the left side!

Res #5. I will not get upset with other errant motorists (as that will only affect me and not the other person) Ref to my blog post http://bit.ly/7Od4j1

Wishing you all a Happy Driving Experience all year round in 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post...if every motorist in Mumbai at least follows the first resolution, then we can walk in peace...
    Res 1 was my main moto when i purchased a motorcycle. To date I have never honked unless absolutely necessary, as I was a pedestrian once.

    Another problem which Mumbai is plagued with is frequent lane changing, right to left to middle of two lanes.....wow as if we are in Formula 1 race!!!

    ReplyDelete